We’re due for some extremely cold temperatures this winter, and there are several steps to take to get your home winter-ready:
- Disconnect all outside hoses and shut off outside water valves when possible.
- Make sure your gutters are leaf-free and clean to prevent ice dams and icicles.
- During extreme cold, open cabinet doors under sinks to keep warm air circulating.
- Check around doors and windows to see if any cold air is coming in. Use caulk and weather stripping in areas of concern.
- If your kitchen or bathroom sink is on an outside wall, let the water drip to keep pipes from freezing.
- Most important, protect your pets and provide a warm and safe place for them during inclement weather.